Friday, October 28, 2011

Update: Where I am Now in the Kitchen

So, when I started at Sushi Q, I was working the cooked food station.  Every day I would prep tempura batter and egg wash for tempura frying.  In addition, depending on what we were low on, I would boil and shock quail eggs then wrap them in bacon, chop cabbage and lettuce for salad, cook rice, devain shrimp for rolls or break down chicken for teriyaki.  I enjoyed these tasks, but typically only two or three of them were needed per day which left a lot of down-time after prep and before service.  I also wasn't crazy about seeing so much of the frier, since the majority of cooked food orders are the fried components of rolls.
However, one day out of the blue, Albert told me I would start my training for sushi.  The first day, I literally did nothing but watch him work.  Since then, first and foremost, I have prepared countless amounts of wasabi- ginger plates.  In addition, when it gets busy, I will often plate and sauce the sushi. The majority of my work, however, occurs during prep.  I arrive before albert to clean and set up the station.  This starts by taking the fish out of the refrigerator, making sure it is fresh and putting it in the sushi display fridge.  Next, I cut cucumber into long, thin strips for sushi rolls, peel and slice avocado, prepare spicy tuna, red snapper and guacamole for our spicy tuna napoleon special and wash (3x) and cook sushi rice.  Once in a blue moon, Albert will teach me something like how to make a sushi roll- which will go to customers- or nigiri- which we eat.  It's certainly a gradual process, but it's progress nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment