Monday, November 14, 2011

Back to the line...

In my last update in the kitchen, I had been moved from the hot line to work with sushi.  It had been a slow learning process, but nonetheless I was happy to be gaining a new set of skills.  After service one night, Albert and Abraham told me that I would be moving back to the hot line.  But this time, I would be in charge.

At first I was upset that my sushi training had been cut short, but looking at the big picture, I now think this was a move for the best.  Being responsible for all the preparation, cooking, inventory and closing of the station will be a better learning experience than continuing in sushi where the majority of my work is centered around preparation.  Its also a definite bonus to not be under the constant scrutiny of not doing things in the exact way/ order as Abraham, but to be judged more on a basis of the final dish.

Perhaps the most valuable part of this shift is the line experience I am receiving.  Although the hot foods are very simple preparations, they still require much of the same skill-set that would be needed to execute a much more complex menu, namely, speed and timing.  Here was my first challenge as head of the station: I received an order for two chicken teriyaki's and a chicken ton katsu to a single table.  These two dishes only have three components:  Chicken (one in the frier, two on the stovetop) rice and vegetables.  However each component has a different cook time.  

Here is a step-by-step outline of what must be done to ensure that all components come out at once: make sure water is on its way to a boil for vegetables- get a pan on the stove heated with vegetable oil- season each piece of chicken- place two pieces of chicken skin side in the hot oil and cover- coat the chicken for the ton katsu in flour, egg wash and panko and place in frier baskets- take out three portions of vegetables (just broccoli and carrot)  grab three plates and teriyaki and ton katsu sauce- turn the chickens skin side up- drop the ton katsu in the frier- place carrots in the water- place broccoli in the water (broccoli cooks quicker than carrot)- scoop rice on each plate- remove chicken from pan to rest on cutting board- take vegetables out and season- plate vegetables- remove tonkatsu from the frier- cut all three chickens and place on appropriate plates- finish the plates with a pinch of sesame seeds over the rice and sauce over the chicken.  

While being creative and having a good palate/ sense of flavor (what I would consider my strengths) are attributes that separate a good chef from a great chef, these are characteristics that only matter in the kitchen once you have flawless organization (one of my weaker points) and some serious chops on the line.  When looking for a cook, most chefs couldn't care less how creative or inspired a candidate is.  It is much more important for the prospective cook to be able to flawlessly crank out one of the chef's dishes consistently twenty-five times over the course of one night.

No comments:

Post a Comment